Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Challenge of Undernourished Kittens

Have you guessed their age yet?  I have an idea, just checking to see if anyone has been learning from the posts.  These kittens are underweight and certainly are lacking in energy, but there are enough other clues.  I had one guess of 7 weeks....that's too old.  Look again at the ears and the tail length.
We need names

Knowing the age lets me know what they should eat, if they can use a litter box, what activity level to expect and a few other needs.  As undernourished feral kittens there are added challenges.   The litter box is a new concept, so one hit the target and the other used a nearby mat.  I definitely have a load of laundry to do today.   For some reason their system is full of poop, so there was black poop, formed normal poop and a couple of puddles of poop.  

 

Today I will focus on keeping them hydrated and warm.  Any food intake will be considered a success.   They desperately need baths, but for now a wet washcloth will have to do.  I'm concerned about them getting too cold and then sick with so little body mass.   So thin and weak, the little girl's meow is broken.  She tried to play with a foil ball and fell over.  Subcutaneous fluids may be needed.  I'll be discussing that with someone more knowledgeable than myself later today.





No comments:

Post a Comment